Ruin to visit Hagueneck Castle
Noted around 1263 as the property of Burckhard de Hagueneck, vassal of the Bishop of Strasbourg, this castle belonged to powerful families in the region, notably the Zorns, the Landsbergs, the Ribeaupierres and the Rusts. Destroyed by Swedish troops during the Thirty Years’ War, the keep has been restored in part with the support of a local association.
During the terrible winter of 1945, the population of the surrounding villages found refuge in the castle ruins while the battle for liberation was raging around Colmar, marking the end of the Second World War.
Its small inner courtyard, the palace with its windows and traces of an old fireplace as well as the keep are easy to access.
- From Colmar, head towards Wettolsheim and west through the vineyard. After a few kilometres you will arrive at a car park which provides access to the ruin (follow the red diamond signs).
- Walk time from car park
- 10 min
- Nearest tourism office
- Office de tourisme Eguisheim et environs
22A Grand-Rue, 68420 Eguisheim
03 89 23 40 33 - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Conservation association
- Les veilleurs de châteaux du Haut-Rhin
03 89 30 63 61 - email@example.com
Facebook : @Veilleurs-de-châteaux-alsace-Haut-Rhin
- GPS coordinates
- Lat.: 48.05233178 - Long.: 7.27508426