Probably built in the 12th century, the castle was a fief of the bishopric of Strasbourg. In 1403, Count Frédéric 1st carried out the first embellishments of the site before the major works undertaken by Georges-Jean de Palatinat who lived there in 1566. The King of France then seized it and had the fortifications enlarged by Vauban around 1681. Today, the castle houses the office for the Northern Vosges Regional Nature Park.
Will you be able to find La Petite Pierre underground lake? This supposed lake is actually an extraordinary system of tunnels and tanks that extends under the town to collect runoff water. But take care not to get too close to the water because a mysterious breath of air extinguishes the overly curious lanterns!
The superb 15th-century frescoes of its church, the Museum of the Alsatian Seal for those who are coats of arms fans, the exhibition dedicated to the ‘Springerle’ (small traditional biscuits) of the Museum of Popular Arts and Traditions, the Pagans’ House, its jazz festival in August, its many artists, etc.
Rue du château
67290 La Petite Pierre
- 03 88 01 49 59 - firstname.lastname@example.org - www.parc-vosges-nord.fr
- Walk time from car park
- 5 min
- Nearest tourism office
- Office de Tourisme Hanau-La Petite Pierre
2 Rue du Château, 67290 La Petite-Pierre
03 88 70 42 30 - email@example.com
- GPS coordinates
- Lat.: 48.85683758 - Long.: 7.31479168